Heads Up….on Everton
After watching Everton’s recent games and getting the opinion of EFC bloggers, @UHTpodcast and @WatchedToffee, here is a Heads Up on Arsenal’s opponents.
1) Form… Won 3, drawn 2 of last five.
2) Formation and Potential line up… Wondering if Iwobi will get the nod over in form Bernard. Holgate is in form and played DM recently.
3) Absent players…. Long term Jean-Philippe Gbamin. Walcott may/may not recover. Andre Gomes returns, most likely to the bench.
4) In form players…… Calvert-Lewin is in form and will be highly motivated as the England squad announcement is upcoming. Richarlison and Walcott too. Bernard has been impressing recently and adding final product. Holgate has started to show consistency and very good form and has a chance of being included in England squad.
5) Out of form players…. As much publicized, Pickford has become error prone. Sigurdsson is providing little. Delph and Davies work hard but are struggling for form.
6) Strengths… Resilience. Something that was missing under Silva is evident under Ancelotti. Coming back to beat Watford with 10 men, going in behind to West Ham and getting a point and being pegged back against Newcastle but going on to win the game. The players are starting to believe in their abilities and more importantly, the manager
7) Weaknesses…. Midfield. Lack of form and injuries have hurt.
Holgate played CM at Old Trafford and may play here. For the same reason, Gomes may make his comeback game but would be a surprise to start as a comeback game after horror injury.
Lack of possession dominance and creativity with Sigurdsson off form.
As a team, Everton struggle at putting games to bed.
8) Insight/Patterns/Potential strategy…. The aerial game will be Everton’s most likely route. They play into channels with overlapping full backs and a true aerial threat in Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison.
Corners and set plays are a true concern as England fans will remember Yerry Mina.
Richarlison’s pace and invention is a concern. Everton’s strongest side is the left with Digne and Bernard striking up a partnership under Ancelotti.
PREDICTION…. Arsenal 2 Everton 1 (Areta top show his worth v Ancelotti