Well that was irritating in the extreme was it not? I was left with an overwhelming sense of frustration at the manager, his selection and his in game management. Of course I have already been told on social media that I am not qualified to comment on or question the decisions of Arsene Wenger but what the hell!
What amuses me is that the same fans who consider a point away at Man United also believe that not losing yesterday is Premier League winning form. It isn’t. Yes a point away against your rivals can often be considered a good point and yes frequently we would have all settled for that before the game. BUT NOT YESTERDAY!
- Man United are not a title challenging rival. In my opinion, in most pundits opinion and in the opinion of all the bookies.
- A point away from home, against a rival (and if you honestly think United to be one, you have given up already,) is a good point, IF you win the home fixtures against rivals. In case you had not noticed we have already lost at home to Liverpool and played out a spineless, passionless draw with our North London rivals. Because of this the great display and three points against Chelsea has meant little, which is a crying shame. And not when you have taken 2 points from a possible 6 in the last 2 home matches.
- Title challenging sides do not settle for a point before the match against weaker opposition, by making negative or cautious team selections.
- The negative team selection/set-up was against a back drop of Man United only being able to field one first choice regular in their back 4. Jones had not played this season, Rojo is up for sale and generally used as a fullback and Darmian is out of favour and was playing on his wrong foot.
- Title challenging sides and managers DO adapt their team set-up in game time. They adapt to circumstances and they make decisive substitutions to try and impact the result in a positive fashion. For example when faced with a right footed, left back who is out of form and on a yellow card, they might suggest the team get the ball to Walcott and that he take Darmian on. * Or indeed consider putting on one of the best headers of a football in the league against 2 fragile centre backs? **
I could go on but I gave the piece a title with Top 5 in it so as not to depress myself further. Don’t worry I will have recovered by Wednesday and will be my useful positive self. I say this, as some on social media seem to confuse annoyance or an opinion contrary to that of Arsene Wenger to be a lack of support. You are of course entirely wrong and from 7.45 I will shout, sing and encourage for 90 minutes regardless of the selection, even if it does include Aaron Ramsey.
Rant over, enjoy your Sunday 🙂
Notes * I have formed this opinion having only watched football live for 40 years, only coached youth football and not Premier League football.
** Another opinion I formed on my own, with only 40 years of watching live football, only coached at youth level and not in the Premier League