Arsenal fans had their hopes of signing David Villa shot down earlier this month after reports had gained pace on the move.
Many Gooners began growing in excitement at the thought of the Spaniard linking up with the Gunners over the coming weeks, but those hopes were crushed after a statement from Barca president Sandro Rosell.
“I completely rule out of the transfer of Villa during the winter market. He is ours and we need him. There is a lot of the season left,” Rosell told a Catalan radio station.
Our hopes were further dented when manager Tito Vilanova came out and spoke to the public about Villa.
“David will not leave, we are very happy with him,” Vilanova told reporters.
“It’s been a long recovery process, but we know his importance to the team, and we’re sure that he will help us.”
Despite all this, Spanish newspaper Sport are reporting today that the 31-yearold will tell officials at the club that he wants to leave the La Liga leaders this month and not in the summer after failing to cement a place in the starting lineup.
After breaking his leg, Villa has been limited to a place on the Barca bench for the majority of his comeback, and he came on to play the last 25 minutes of the side’s 4-0 win over Espanyol on Sunday.
It is thought that around £13m could be enough to prise him away from the Nou Camp, despite the fact that his wife is expecting the birth of his third child in the coming weeks.
He would be a fantastic purchase for the Gunners, and seeing as that Barca owe us money still from the sales of Cesc Fabregas and Alex Song, we should have first dibs on him.
Cesc also did a pretty good persuasion job on Santi Cazorla in the summer, and let’s hope that the duo, along with Mikel Arteta, can convince Villa to make the move to North London.