WTTGT Writer: Christopher Czapski
1. Founded in 1886, they hold the record for the longest uninterrupted period in the English top flight.
2. The 1970-71 season brought the league title and the FA Cup—becoming only the second team in the 20th century to achieve the league and cup double.
3. Before all seater stadiums was introduced, Highbury was able to hold over 60,000 supporters.
4. The Champions League final of 2006 saw Arsenal become the first club from London to reach the final.
5. Arsenal have finished in first or second place in the Premier League in 8 of Arsène Wenger’s 14 seasons in charge and are 1 of only 4 teams to have won the league since 1992.
6. The club signed the largest sponsorship deal in English football history, worth approximately £100m, when they gave the naming rights to their new stadium to the airline company Emirates.
7. In 2002, Arsenal had the highest proportion of non-white attending supporters of any club in English football, standing at 7.7%
8. On 22 January 1927, Arsenal’s match at Highbury against Sheffield United was the first English league match to be broadcast live on radio.
9. 16 September 1937, an exhibition match between Arsenal’s first team and the reserves was the first ever football match to be televised live.
10. Arsenal appeared in the first edition of the Match of the Day, which screened highlights of their match against Liverpool on 22 August 1964.
11. Arsenal and Preston North End are the only two teams in football league history to have ever gone an entire top division season unbeaten.
12. The Gunners hold the record for the longest Champions League campaign without conceding a goal. They went 10 games and 995 minutes without the opposition scoring against them.
13. They have the highest average league finishing position for the period 1900–1999, with an average league placing of 8.5
14. They hold the title for longest unbeaten away record in the league, standing at 27 games.
15. Arsenal also hold the record for most consecutive scoring league games with 55 matches.
16. They also hold the record for the most consecutive scoring away games in the league with 27 games.
17. The highest attendance at a league match stands at 83,260 during the Maine Road game between Arsenal and Manchester United.
18. The Gunners hold the record for biggest away victory at the San Siro with the game finishing 5-1 to Arsenal.
19. They are the first and only British team to beat Real Madrid at the Bernabau and AC Milan and Inter Milan at the San Siro.
20. Arsenal are believed to be the only team in Champions League history to have fielded 11 players from different nationalities in their victory over Hamburger SV in 2006.