The Bobby Moore Fund for Cancer Research UK is encouraging men, women and children across the UK to dig out their football shirts and wear them loudly and proudly this Friday (28th April) to help fund life-saving research into bowel cancer.
Taking place during bowel cancer awareness month this April, Football Shirt Friday is returning for the fifth year with support from well-known faces from the sporting, business and acting worlds, with Robbie Savage, Sir AP McCoy, Sir Geoff Hurst, David James, Bianca Westwood and Tom Davis getting in on the action this week.
The fundraising initiative, which asks people to wear their football shirt and donate £2 to the Bobby Moore Fund, draws inspiration from one of the most famous images of Bobby taken at the 1970 World Cup, where he swapped football shirts with Brazilian legend Pelé. Shown as a sign of respect between the opposing players, it’s a gesture that has been recreated by footballers worldwide ever since.
Robbie Savage, former Wales International, Premier League footballer, pundit and William Hill Close to HOME ambassador said: “Bobby Moore is a true hero and there isn’t a person in the game who doesn’t look up to him and what he achieved for the sport.
“The passion I see and hear from football fans for their clubs is amazing. We need to take that spirit and apply it to beating bowel cancer sooner. We will make progress and we will win. Get your shirt on this Friday, donate £2 and let’s beat bowel cancer.”
TV Presenter Clare Balding OBE said: “Bobby Moore was more than just a footballer; he was an inspiration both on and off the pitch. The image of Bobby holding the World Cup aloft in 1966 is so poignant and serves as a reminder of why it’s important to raise funds for life-saving research. Wherever you are on Friday, make sure you’re wearing a football shirt.”
Bobby’s widow Stephanie Moore MBE, set up the Fund in partnership with Cancer Research UK to raise money for research into the disease. To date, over £23m has been raised to fund ground-breaking bowel cancer research.
Stephanie Moore said: “We want to see the whole nation get behind Football Shirt Friday, wearing their team’s colours with pride and believing that together we can and will beat bowel cancer. We have made enormous progress in the last 50 years but sadly bowel cancer still kills 44 people in the UK every day. By joining forces, raising funds and channelling that unbreakable spirit of a football fan to support the Bobby Moore Fund, we can all help bring forward the day when bowel cancer is cured.”
This year the Bobby Moore Fund’s partnership with Classic Football Shirts, the home of classic original football shirts from all over the world, returns. Classic Football Shirts will be offering supporters 20% off all shirts online in the week before Football Shirt Friday (Friday 21st – 28th April) with the discount code FSF2017.*
Whether your colours are red, blue or canary yellow, get your team together this Friday and make Bobby proud! To find out more, visit www.footballshirtfriday.org. To donate £2 to the Bobby Moore Fund, text GOAL002 to 70070. Texts cost £2 plus 1 standard rate text. Cancer Research UK receives £2. Ts&Cs here.
Join the conversation on Twitter using @BobbyMooreFund #FootballShirtFriday or on the Facebook page at OfficialBobbyMooreFund.
*Enter the promotional code FSF2017 at the checkout for 20% off all football shirts, including clearance items, at www.classicfootballshirts.co.uk. This promotion is only valid from Friday 21st – 28th April 2017.
For further press information contact Lois Wilson in the Cancer Research UK press office email@example.com / 0203 469 8427
About the Bobby Moore Fund
• The Bobby Moore Fund for Cancer Research UK raises vital funds for research into bowel cancer and increases public awareness of the disease
• The Fund was set up by Stephanie Moore MBE in memory of her husband, footballer Bobby Moore, after his death from the disease in 1993, at just 51. For more information visit www.bobbymoorefund.org
• The Bobby Moore Fund is the official charity partner of the FA
• Find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/officialbobbymoorefund
About Cancer Research UK
• Cancer Research UK is the world’s leading cancer charity dedicated to saving lives through research
• Cancer Research UK’s pioneering work into the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer has helped save millions of lives
• Cancer Research UK receives no government funding for its life-saving research. Every step it makes towards beating cancer relies on every pound donated
• Cancer Research UK has been at the heart of the progress that has already seen survival in the UK double in the last forty years
• Today, 2 in 4 people survive their cancer for at least 10 years. Cancer Research UK’s ambition is to accelerate progress so that by 2034, 3 in 4 people will survive their cancer for at least 10 years
• Cancer Research UK supports research into all aspects of cancer through the work of over 4,000 scientists, doctors and nurses
• Together with its partners and supporters, Cancer Research UK’s vision is to bring forward the day when all cancers are cured
For further information about Cancer Research UK’s work or to find out how to support the charity, please call 0300 123 1022 or visit Cancer Research UK. Follow us on Twitter (@CR_UK) and Facebook.