Time to ‘Stand by by your Man’ – Open letter to Angry Gooners.

LONDON, ENGLAND - MAY 20: Arsene Wenger, manager of Arsenal looks on during the Barclays Premier League match between Arsenal and Sunderland at Emirates Stadium on May 20, 2015 in London, England. (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)

Dear Fellow Gunners

If in recent years you have associated yourself with the vigorous anti-Wenger brigade then yesterdays defeat by Liverpool will have reinforced your commitment to the cause that Wenger must leave Arsenal FC as soon as possible. I hasten to add this is not my view for reasons that appear below but if you were looking for ammunition to throw at Wenger then the 3-4 opening day home defeat by Liverpool provided it.

So let me run over the familiar arguments against Wenger that have been given new vigour by yesterday’s defeat – the lack of major signings, the apparent lack of preparation, the fact that four goals were conceded, the re-appearance of injuries to key players. These taken together show that “Wenger does not know what he is doing”. He is out of date. He has lost touch. He is living off past achievements. He is sitting on piles of unused money generated in part by high season ticket prices. He is cheating the fans. The time has come for him to go.

This view is held by a growing number – they are vociferous. They fill social media and the talk football radio shows. They are highlighted by the Press. They give the impression of being large in number. We are a Club Divided. Supporters are in conflict. The fan base is at war. We need change and we  need it now. That is the refrain.

As to specifics we have failed to make big signings. We are a big Club. We are financially viable. We have the best facilities but at the helm we have a manager who refuses to act – who despite his protestations is not bringing the very top players to AFC. He is a fraud – a phoney – a man who deceives – a manager who cheats – someone who must leave.

Again I repeat this is not my view and there are many – less voluble – who share my view. We are substantial in number although no polls have been taken of across-the-board supporters to gauge the pro and anti-Wenger numbers but the media will not talk about Wenger’s followers – only his critics. Bad news sells. Good news doesn’t so why talk up the support he receives from me and you. The media only want “crisis” and “confrontation” and “fury”. And of course there are enough discontented fans to give the media what they want.

Bad News sells

Bad News sells

OK – so why am I not joining the anti-Wenger brigade. Am I like Wenger naive, out of touch, looking at AFC through rose colours spectacles? Why am I not saying three words Wenger out Now?

I do not believe he has “lost it”. His negotiating style may leave something to be desired but he will not just spend the money. Football is gripped by spiraling transfer fees and now more than ever is the time for good sense and good judgment and if it means going to the wire so be it. The season start date is almost three weeks before the transfer window closes. He will not be held to ransom – clubs know he has funds and he is clearly provoked by transfer fees proposed to him. Yes there is delay at a cost and the loss of three points on Sunday hurts. He has been unlucky with the centre backs with injuries to Mertesacker and Gabriel. It was enough that Koscielny was out of contention because – like Giroud and Ozil – he featured in the final matches of the Euros but once Gabriel was inured he was active looking for replacements. As regards a striker he has clearly been in negotiation with Lyon for Lacazette but again that has not happened. And I accept that the combination of no big signings and a 3-4 reverse v Liverpool leads some to say that Wenger is indecisive. I accept that a bad start can damage our prospects of winning the Premier title and I do hold to the view that last year represented our best chance to win it.

Henry critical of Wenger

Henry critical of Wenger

Thierry Henry is Thierry Henry. He is not my favourite man. I remember his cheating handball that knocked out Eire in the last minute. I remember his hands on hips when passes did not reach him in his final season. Thierry is not AFC through and through. Remove the scales from your eyes. Henry is now a pundit who satisfies his masters if he criticises the man who made him.

If you are anti-Wenger this is your moment. If you are pro-Wenger you keep to what you believe. You stand firm in the face of the torrent of criticism and abuse. Some friends have urged me to break ranks and dump Wenger. Not me. And this is not stubbornness. I respond to reason and those that want him out have not made the case.

Stand by your man.

Click here to buy Classic Arsenal shirts!

Get original AFC shirts at bargain prices here

, , , , , ,

49 Responses to Time to ‘Stand by by your Man’ – Open letter to Angry Gooners.

1. suarez August 16, 2016 at 12:44 pm #

I think you are too old to have a opinion, time has changed my old pal. you should trust younger voice unlike deluded wenger.

• Mike August 16, 2016 at 1:19 pm #

Who needs Google. I have teenage kids who know everything……………

• kim August 16, 2016 at 3:50 pm #

it doesnt make any sense , what do you imply sir

• Mike August 17, 2016 at 9:24 am #

With age comes wisdom.

What Arsenal have is too many young kids “supporting” them who think they know better because they can win FIFA on their PC.

• kim August 21, 2016 at 6:17 pm #

sir thank for you wisdom post which makes you 90 years old.well done.and if you assume all fans play fifa then it implies your a donald trump to me.

2. Atid August 16, 2016 at 12:57 pm #

I’m neither anti-wenger or pro wenger. I do however dislike the extremities people are saying about him, whilst I am also unhappy about other people’s continued support of his methods.

However, for me it is the owner and the people that sanction the lack of foresight that offends me. I am offended so much, because the only reason transfer fees are spiralling, is because they can afford too. The obscene TV money, which is basically being indirectly funded in the main by the same supporters that are attending matches, is being banked by the club and instead needs to be spent on the players we need and more importantly what the supporters want.

For 4 seasons now. Mr Kroenke will get nothing from me. I sell my season ticket for face value, but i attend EVERY away match. I do not buy replica merchandise from the club, but do buy the realistically priced merchandise from Asia for my boys. I would also not buy anything else from the club until, either Kroenke has sold up or he forces wenger or any new manager to invest the income back into the first team. I do not mean buying £3m Asians, South Americans or Africans in the hope of selling loads of shirts, i mean the investment of proven top world class players that immediately take their place in the starting x1.

3. Geoff Wood August 16, 2016 at 12:57 pm #

You say football is gripped by spiralling transfer fees and he will not be held to ransom. So what does this highly principled man do with the massive influx of money we now receive, knock it off our huge season ticket costs? No actually he doesn’t. No doubt much of it finds it’s way into his and he yes mens pockets.

I have been a shareholder for 25 years and have never received a penny. So where is all this money going?

Throughout all the years of new stadium austerity, did he take a wage cut for the good of the club? No he most certainly didn’t, I really don’t think people understand what a huge salary he takes out of our club, it’s unbelievable.

He treats the fans in a way that I think is despicable, he buys a Japanese kid that we all know will never make it and no doubt one we will never see. And this when we have been crying out for a forward since he made an insulting bid for Suarez, and this summer one for Vardy. If he didn’t believe we needed a goalscorer, then why on earth bid for him in the first place.

Wenger may have been something when he first joined us, but ask yourself who he was before that, and then ask yourself how much he had in the bank compared to what he has now.

Imagine what it must have been like to inherit a team that had Seaman, Dixon, Winterburn, Adams, Bould, Keown, Platt, Bergkamp, Merson, Parlour and Wright, it didn’t take much to turn us into something special did it.

It wouldn’t take much now either…

4. Trusty August 16, 2016 at 12:58 pm #

This article is music to my ears. It’s feels like it’s getting rarer and rarer to find Wenger loyalists and also actual football fans but your point on the media is absolutely spot on. I was reading sky sports a couple of weeks ago and they posted all of the missed transfers Wenger has had in this tenure…How stupid is that? That will clearly rile supporters and feeds into the negativity for Arsenal and Wenger. Can you tell me one club that’s hasn’t missed out on 100+ transfer (maybe an exxageration) but there’s only a few quality players out there and story’s like that make me sick. Stick by Wenger and Arsenal…I’d be happy if he signed a contract extension but ill hold it there because I’ll probably get a barrage of abuse. Great blog. Love it! COYG

5. MzBarbzz August 16, 2016 at 1:02 pm #

Yessssssssss. I agree with you on every point. For those criticizing Wenger for not playing Koscielny on Sunday…. Look at what happened to Ramsey, and Ramsey left the Euros before Koscielny…. I can’t with these fans… I wonder if they believe Wenger has unlimited funds and he does not need the approval of the board to use those funds…. Painful loss but, it was just one game. And how many world class players did Leicester have before winning the league last season….

• TheNigerian August 16, 2016 at 1:53 pm #

Okay yes, Leicester didn’t buy pricey players. Take a while to think before you Answer this: Do you think Arsene can motivate this current crop of players to be energy driven and up for every single game like Leicester were?

Not a motivator. Not a tactician. Can’t but the league? What is he?

• Mike August 17, 2016 at 9:29 am #

What is he? Far more knowledgeable about football than you, me or any football fan could ever hope to be. I would never dream of making the type of insinuation you have. I run a company, I had my first season ticket at Arsenal in 1968 and I watch a lot of football on TV. I am not stupid enough to think that means I now about running/managing a football club. Anybody who thinks they do is just deluding themselves.

So what are you? A professional football manager perhaps…………

6. Alvinio August 16, 2016 at 1:03 pm #

Stand by your man year after year accepting the same mistakes and mediocrity…great advice that.

What was the point of moving to the Emirates if we can’t compete financially with the top clubs?

Wenger says ‘There are no quality players available and no bargains.’ Funny how every other club can go out and get their transfer business done to strengthen their squad without any problems.

The same excuses for losing season after season, who’s fault is that?…anyone except Arsene’s.

Why sign an expensive player to help strengthen a position then sit him on the bench?

Why play Aaron Ramsey and Alexis Sanchez when the clearly weren’t ready, allowing Ramsey to break down again! Why not play Xhaka, Ox, Santiago and Apkom who were all fit and could play in their correct positions?

And even worst…appoint Mertesacker as Captain who is on his way down and won’t even be on the pitch for 4/5 months?!!

Only Wenger could achieve this…welcome to mediocrity again.

7. Gooner Jay August 16, 2016 at 1:13 pm #

What are you actually trying to say here? That Wenger has been “unlucky” re injuries and shouldn’t spend the clubs funds because he isn’t a good negotiater?

You are the reason Arsenal have regressed over the last 10 years.

I am firmly in the Wenger out camp – and I am not some idiot foaming at the mouth and abusing the manager. I am someone who has spent the last 25 years supporting Arsenal and seen the team I love stagnate – with an aging manager at the helm who is no longer capable of competing at the highest level.

I would love a superstar signing – sure, who wouldn’t? However, more than that I want a manager who puts the club before himself, does what is needed to improve the team and lets the loyal fans (you know the peoiple who pay his 8m a year salary) go into a new season with hope instead of abject disappointment.

Wenger has shown repeatedly for the last 10 seasons that he is not capable of winning or even competing for the league or ECL and that he is incapable of doing what is required to make the team competitive again.

Until he leaves the club Arsenal will never win the league title again. He has shown incompetence and negligence over and over re injuries, tactics, transfers, etc – He dismisses the fans and media when they collectively call out what is wrong, instead insisting on pursuing selfish desires (like insisting that Sanogo will be a top striker, like not signing a proper GK for 6 seasons, etc)… he is a charasmatic dictator, who has manipulated the fanbase.

I ask you a simple question. If you had never heard or seen Arsene Wenger and he arrived at Arsenal in 2005… so your view of him was based on the last 11 years only… would you honestly say he is the right man to manage Arsenal?

If the answer is yes – then god help us all.

Gooner Jay

• Obez65 August 16, 2016 at 2:16 pm #

Gooners Jay…….Thank you sir!!

I’m afraid gunnerstown is completely deluded and talks about Wenger as if this was his 1st season at Arsenal!

This has gone on for the last decade plus.
      We were told the problem was were paying for the stadium. Well, that finished in 2013!
      The problems are the same and are repeated year on year.
      Injuries! !
      This is the biggest mystery of modern day football. No team suffers the level of injuries we’ve been suffering since Wenger arrived 20 years ago!!! I remember a record number of injuries in the Invincibles year in 03/04!!
      Wenger is stubborn, arrogant, a dithered, out of touch and is a hostage to the past, when he found the odd cheap gem or 2 like Anelka etc, and was lauded for that.
      Times have moved on.
      One moment he says we are looking for a striker, a few days later he says we are not!! Same lies and red herrings we were fed last season!
      You don’t determine market price Arsene, the market does!
      The biggest loss to Arsenal was the loss of David Dein.
      He was a master negotiator AND lived in the real world.
      Since he left, Wenger has become GOD and that is not healthy!

• trusty August 16, 2016 at 4:35 pm #

Dont call you self a Gunner. Call yourself a c*nt. F*ck off and support man city

8. alan B'stard MP (@alanBStardmp) August 16, 2016 at 1:13 pm #

he’s not our man

9. Mike August 16, 2016 at 1:16 pm #

Well said. I’m really sick of people who shout loudly thinking they are the majority. And it also seems to be the case that a huge amount of online dissent comes from abroad. It seems pretty clear to me that the vast majority of dissenters are from the lower age groups who would probably have never been Arsenal “supporters” had it not been for AW. They had never had to support a club that wasn’t winning things until the last few years. Now they are upset because they don’t have something to brag about.

And of course let’s not forget, everyone of them knows how to manage a football club, what goes on in the Boardroom, how easy it is to sign the best players in the world, what tactics would work etc., etc., etc.

AW and the Board will never drive me away from football but having been a season ticket holder since 1968, these whinging glory hunters will. I’m sick of their “I want glory and I want it now” attitude.

• Ray August 16, 2016 at 1:51 pm #

Good leave, your obviously suffering from the same thing wenger is..its called being delusional. do i need to be a football manager to tell you Songo is not a top class striker… Nope and don’t need to be one to know that Arsene is not good enough to win the league or the Champions league..ive said for the last how ever many years that our team isn’t good enough yet arsene comes out nearly every year saying this is the best team he’s had yet he never wins the league and is knocked out of CL after the group stages.

When Chelsea won the leagues Arsene : We can’t compete with that kind of spending, finishing in top for is the best you can expect

When Man City won the leagues -Arsene: We can’t compete with that kind of spending, finishing in top for is the best you can expect

When Leicester Won the league – Arsene: See this proves me right that you don’t have to spend big money to win the league

hahahah this guy is only mugging of fans like you who believe him and go out in public copying his statements think you sound clever. My favourite one at the moment from you Arsene fans is ‘Football is Cyclical’ its your new power phrase. Yet ask one of them to back up that statement and show how arsenal have been cyclical under wenger you will see its all crap.

• Ken August 16, 2016 at 3:19 pm #

Oh Yeeees
      You are a liar lover and money thirsty manager who banks the tv money with his pal Stan and infinitely stupid to believe that the damn economist is doing it for the club.
      You are not a glory hunter? so I am not going to say who you are but what are you ? as deluded as your model who pockets your money and spend less than teams from the lower half of the table.
      Go and wash your face and buy yourself a brain, liar lover.

• trusty August 16, 2016 at 4:38 pm #

Thank Mike. A goonervous with sense! Long live real fans

• Melvyn August 16, 2016 at 5:06 pm #

I have been supporing Arsenal for over 50 years, so please don’t presume anything. I have had every emotion possible over that time and wouldn’t change it for the world.. Just because I do not believe in the manager doesn’t stop me being a fan of the club.No I don’t know how to manage a club, but I know a crap piece of bread without being a baker. I do not agree but respect your views, please allow others the same without the put downs.

10. Namussasi N Moscent. August 16, 2016 at 1:20 pm #

So that am not seen as limiting the relevance of the author’s letter,may i have permission to be skeptical of his tenure of membership with the club.He must have joined Arsenal recently and is among the new canopy of fan- base that move to cloud nine whenever we win a single game in as many games we play.
    We don’t just love Arsene,we adore him!!,those of us who have been around for some reasonable duration of time,regard him our Messiah for lack of a better word.However,the letter’s author need to consider that it has been more than a decade since we won the league.To me and whoever is conscious of success,this is where a point of contention is.Each fan could well be toeing the line if we could be having the depth any competitive team deserves yet we succumb into trophy drought.At Arsenal,things are the opposite,we lack depth and trophies aren’t forth coming.If there are people(fans)with patience on this world,then gunners stand to be counted!!this has made club leadership take things for a ride making self centered decisions in boardroom that only suit a few.Successful managers know that when they lose a player through any reason they replace with equal potential,what do we do?I have even thought of couching this club even with no qualifications as some decisions can be better made.

11. Dobs August 16, 2016 at 1:26 pm #

Deary me. Lame, and oft repeated bollocks. Sort of excuses a Mao Zedong supporter would come out with.

Well done for loyalty to Arsene’s socialist experiment!

12. Ray August 16, 2016 at 1:27 pm #

You keep supporting Wenger and believing in him and i will tell you that all you are doing is supporting us being a mediocre team who’s fans aren’t cared about but instead asked to pay the highest ticket prices.

All i here is he loves the club, well wouldn’t you for 8million a year..He constantly tells us he will not buy players unless they improve our team ..how does rob holding factor into that statement, yet all the other world class players out there are seemingly not good enough for arsenal but other clubs are the stupid ones willing to buy them?

Then theres this argument of him spending big money on players like sanchez and ozil..once again look deeper and you realise that, we didn’t go to these clubs and say look we want that guy even if you don’t want to sell and we will offer you big money for him. NO. Both clubs Barca and Real wanted to get rid of these players to subside their clubs spending and they had filled the poisons sanchez and ozil took up in the team.

we don’t move like a big team because in the world of football we are no longer seen as that, and thats the state your beloved arsene will leave us in..waiting on teams to sign players so we can sign their surplus players, leaving a team of players who are fragile and not capable of going toe to toe with big teams or over a course of a season..

And last but not least he leaves a group of Arsene FC fans that love him so much that they think if he leaves our team will be relegated (yes I’ve heard you Arsene fans say this stupidness) ..so you have a manager that has built a team so crap, that with the messiah the best they can do is get into top four and with out him the teams a load of crap….yet you don’t see why that statement tells you everything about arsene being in charge.

Good luck to you explaining and making excusess to everyone again at the end of the season why arsene couldn’t win us the league…how you don’t feel stupid already after 12 years of excuses i don’t know.

• Mike August 17, 2016 at 9:37 am #

I soon as I here the “we pay the highest ticket prices” I immediately lose any interest. We do not pay the highest ticket prices on a game for game basis. The media peddles this story time after time and if you’re prepared to believe that without even bothering to check, I can only assume you believe all the other anti-Arsenal and anti-Arsene propaganda. This probably accounts for why a lot of people just keep repeating what they hear others say whether it’s true or not.

It’s very sad to see the club being ruined by people who say they are supporters but act in exactly the opposite way.

• Melvyn August 17, 2016 at 2:28 pm #

Just for interests sake, which Prem Club’s supporters pays more that us and by how much ?

• Mike August 18, 2016 at 11:37 am #

West Ham 120,747 27,212 72,715 37% 34,819 2,088
          Everton 125,572 17,904 77,515 23% 38,124 2,033
          Leicester City 104,437 13,091 57,438 23% 32,020 1,794
          Sunderland 97,007 11,567 75,158 15% 42,301 1,777
          Newcastle 128,830 26,784 65,087 41% 48,615 1,339

• Melvyn Marks August 18, 2016 at 12:23 pm #

Thank you for that. Therefore no other club pays more than us on matchdays. Why do we then shop at Tesco’s and the other clubs can afford Harrods ?

13. Paul August 16, 2016 at 1:38 pm #

It is time to get behind the club 100%. Wenger makes mistakes like everyone else. We all have our own views and at times it is excruciatingly frustrating, but lets start by supporting and not criticising. Keep the negative crap inside and start cheering not jeering.

14. Prince Ofoegbu August 16, 2016 at 1:46 pm #

Before the end of last season it was obvious to any idiot that Arsenal needed another center back to replace the snail-paced German. It is obvious incompetence in management on the part of Mr Wenger to wait until Gabriel `s injury before making serious moves to sign another central defender. He earns almost 8million pounds yearly, and yet Arsenal always seem unprepared at the start of every season. We were in for one of the best strikers in the world in Suarez a few years back, and he desperately wanted to join us, yet we couldnt spend a little extra for a world class talent. The only thing spectacular about Wenger is his past. He is a good manager but not great. It is not just a question of available funds but a question of character, and Wenger doesnt have it. He has made Arsenal into a laughing stock. He should not be sacked, but he doesnt deserve another contract. Twenty years at a single club is too long.

• Mike August 17, 2016 at 9:43 am #

“Obvious to any idiot”. “Obvious incompetence in management”.

If everything is that obvious, why are you not a professional football manager. Do you really think managers are paid millions when, “it’s obvious to any idiot”?

The so-called “supporters” who just repeat this anti-Arsenal mantra instead of actually SUPPORTING the club are the ones turning this club into a laughing stock. I had my first season ticket 48 years ago and still have one. It’s people like you who think everything is “obvious” who will bring this club down. I’ve never thought of giving up my season ticket until recently and it’s the booing, jeering, know-it-all wannabe managers that are driving people like me away. Supporters support.

15. NT August 16, 2016 at 2:32 pm #

Wenger is numb and no amount of insult can move him! He is more interested in lining his pockets than dignity and self-esteem. I should ask my fellow fans this question, which should be for Wenger, but I know he’s not bothered. If you have already conceded four against Liverpool, how many would you expect to concede against Chelsea, Man U and Man City, and still hope to be in the title race? Come on, the laughing stock of EPL. I do not blame Wenger — he should have left years ago — I blame fans who continue to go to the stadium. We have been next-season team, going into the 13th year without winning the EPL title. Just shut up and accept to be made fun of by your rivals.

• Mike August 17, 2016 at 9:45 am #

What a great idea, blame the fans that go to the stadium!!!! I can only assume that means you don’t go but whinge from your armchair. In case you didn’t notice, there are 37 games left in this season and in the first one we played with our 4th and 5th choice centre backs.

16. Geoff Wood August 16, 2016 at 2:34 pm #

The other cynical thing he does to ensure he won’t get sacked is to keep saying he never walks away from a contract.

How transparent, the board must say, how can we sack him now? He’s so honourable…

We were playing Wigan and it was so bad you could hear soft booing, Wenger knew he was going to get it at the final whistle, so he subbed the sub, Eboue, then the fans let Eboue have it. It’s a golden rule in football, you never sub a sub.

Talk about throwing someone under a bus, when the game ended 30 seconds later Wenger slipped off sharpish.

He says he gives youth a chance so how many have come through the Academy in his 20 years? 2 – Iwobi and Wilshere, all the others were bought, all of them. 20 years and not even a centreback.

He gets paid extra if we make a profit, which is why he doesn’t spend big, that isn’t the mark of someone who’s careful with the clubs money, that’s the mark of someone who earns money at the expense of the success of the team.

If on the other hand the bonus was performance related I’m sure you’d see him spending money in a hurry.

Of course he would love to keep earning what he does and get a contract extension, who wouldn’t? It really is time to go Arsene.

Finally for all those we say we think we are entitled, we are. Look at the money we spend on watching our team, if we paid what West Ham or Burnley do, we probably wouldn’t.

• TheNigerian August 16, 2016 at 2:41 pm #

This write up does not deserve the attention it’s getting.

Someone who could come with excuses for backing Arsene would still back him if we were relegated.

Save your strength, Arsene cannot coach the Arsenal for much longer now.

• Blublood August 18, 2016 at 8:27 pm #

Thank God He is in the final year of his contract. Hopefully he should do the right thing and leave Arsenal with his mediocrity. Most of us fans will not miss him. That will be one of the best days of my life. The day the specialist in failure walks out of Arsenal.

17. Melvyn August 16, 2016 at 2:52 pm #

The fans that want Mr Wenger out have been making their case.Have you ever seen The Gooner Talk or Arsenal Fan TV ? Just go onto any blogs that our fans contribute to.There is plenty of substance there.

So a footballer who cheats and throws a strop cannot have an opinion ? I suppose Maradona should keep quiet then. In all the years I watched Henry he cheated as far as I can recall only once.(And not in an Arsenal shirt) That’s not a bad record in today’s environment. Before ridiculing him because you suggest he has paymasters who drive his agenda, give some thought to why Wenger acts the way he does.

Apart from the now simmingly distant past, what are your reasons for giving Mr Wenger a new contract ?

You want nothing more than to see Wenger hold aloft the Premiership trophy again. That is where we differ. There is nothing more I want than to see than Arsenal winning the Premiership again, and if we need to sacrifice our possible greatest manager then so be it.

18. Ogban August 16, 2016 at 3:05 pm #

I am with you Graham. All these guys living in the fantasy of Arsenal’s nonexistent wealth do not know a thing about management. The reality is that Arsenal can’t afford to spend 50m or thereabouts on new players in a season. And it would take some astute husbandry to meet requirements within this budget. Wenger will leave the club soon, and maybe then we’ll know the truth. Some of us know the truth but we prefer to dance with the crowd. For now, Wenger will do things his own way and bear the responsibility. He is not one to be pushed around. That you can be sure of. Even Ferguson testified as much. I will continue to support Arsenal because the future of football belongs to self-sustaining clubs like our dear Arsenal under the astute management of Mr Wenger

• ray August 16, 2016 at 4:26 pm #

There you go more crap sprouted from listing to wenger and his pals-the future of football belongs to self sustaining teams like arsenal,

is that like when ivan said when we were about to move into the emirates that “by 2015 we will be able to compete with the likes of real and byern munich”

How is that going for you now that they have come out in 2016 and said that we can’t compete with these big teams…

Or is it like when we were told that self-sustaining teams like arsenal will benefit once fair play rules kick in..
      hows that going for you????

you are fed lies and false promises yet you sit here all high and mighty professing that wenger has been sent to arsenal by God and that one day down the line all this over charging on tickets and not spending where its needed will benefit us fans an the club, a date that is constantly pushed back with a new twist.

Yet what has really happened is they have set up a project where getting into champions league is the only major target.. not winning a title or making us a big team on the pitch one that winners want to play for.

Ask yourself this do you think we can win the champions league?? No ?

Then ask yourself why after 20 years at one club we don’t have team capable of challenging in the Champions league yet wenger tells you that he is amazing because he’s been in the competion every season?? i personally would be embarrassed, to me what your saying is you have had 20 failed attempts and you have probably been the most stable (job secure) manager in that time.

if i told you that next manager hasn’t won a CL in 20 consecutive years of trying and that he hasn’t won a league title in 10+ years.. you wouldn’t be begging for that guy to take over and you wouldn’t expect him to take us forward…yet here you are in love with wenger and those stats

• trusty August 16, 2016 at 4:39 pm #

Ray…Obviously your as blind as ray charles

• ray August 16, 2016 at 4:47 pm #

ohh really sorry my fault

so what am i not seeing – have we won the league or even really challenged to the end in the last 10-12 seasons

ohh I’m sorry u mean I’m blind to the fact that our team is actually CL challengers

please tell me what I’m missing without talking about things you HOPE will happen the same way you probably hoped financial fair play would prove wenger right???

• Mike August 17, 2016 at 9:56 am #

What you are missing (if you were prepared to look beyond the tabloids and the blogs) is what has been achieved during the lean years. And no, I don’t mean just finishing in the top four every year, although has been important. Over a period of ten years without winning the league just have a look at how many premiership points each club gained based on net spend in the transfer market. That’s not the sort of stuff most blogs or tabloids bother to do because it’s much easier to just give an unsubstantiated opinion based on guesswork rather than back something up with facts.

Well what you’re not seeing is, Man City and Chelski both gained one measly premiership point for every £1m of net spend while the media darlings at Man Utd gained 6 points. The second best club gained some 26 points. In the meantime whilst building a new stadium and not winning trophies Wenger gained Arsenal 43 premiership points for every million pounds of net spend.

If you think that’s a bad manager then you really are a lost cause. Too many so-called fans are just becoming sheep. Look behind the rhetoric and it’s a very different story.

• Mike August 31, 2016 at 1:39 pm #

Fascinating insight there Ogban. You clearly have special access to insider knowledge and an expert understanding of the club.

Now can you just run something past me again.

I didn’t quite understand the statement, “The reality is that Arsenal can’t afford to spend £50m or thereabouts on new players in a season.”

19. fabgooner August 16, 2016 at 3:16 pm #

you must be a tottenham supporter

• Ogban August 16, 2016 at 3:57 pm #

And you go support the ‘money bags’ for all I care

• Ogban August 16, 2016 at 4:13 pm #

And you an Arsenal ‘farce’

20. mw1976 August 16, 2016 at 6:00 pm #

Defending the indefensidble?

As others have mentioned above this is hardly a one off situation, its been happening for a number years now, unfortunately ffp hasn’t worked or been implemented and yes the market is spiralling out of control, no one is saying spend money that is not there, but a quick look at the profit and loss shows there should be money to spend.

You either jump on board and try and keep some sense of reality or you refuse to get involved till things calm down, the only thing is recent history has shown that things won’t calm down they will almost certainly get more crazy and while I agree with having a sensible financial model when it comes at the determent of the team then the strategy needs to be examined.

Some sort of experienced centre half and half decent striker to share the load with Giroud would surely not break the bank.

21. Geoff Wood August 16, 2016 at 6:07 pm #

So we haven’t won the ECL in 18 attempts and Wenger has said on numerous occasions that the team we are playing against is the best in the world, well my question is this, 20 years at the helm, why aren’t we?

Even Porto won it one year.

Some of you chaps are obviously very easy to please.

22. TheNigerian August 18, 2016 at 9:45 am #

Just a thought….

What if the perceived reluctance of players to join us (transfer fees aside) is not unrelated to Arsene being on the last year of his contract. Before the AKBs jump on this, this does not infer that Arsene is some kind of star magnet, a player would think twice about joining a club if he’s not guaranteed that he will fit into the plans of the manager (present or future).

RVP once said he felt betrayed by Fergie cos he promised to say on (meaning RVP asked the question). Vardy, Mahrez…and “Madness” would sure have asked (Vardy being in his later years, would not have wanted to risk being shipped off to the MLS or China, or better still the Championship where he belong).

If and this is big IF this is the case then i suggest we pipe down, back the players and pray Arsene delivers on his annual trophy (top 4) before he f****s off to who cares. I would not even want him to make any more signings of his ilk. And I would prefer if he did not impose his successor (i guess this is just wishful thinking cos it’s more likely that he will), because we risk being left with a stale Wenger 2.0 (Maybe Jogi Low or who knows).

The more I think this is one of the reasons for our difficult transfer Window, the more likely it seems. Cos Klopp, Mou, Pep, Conte are all beginning new eras/projects at their respective clubs, while ours is winding down as it is winding up.