628x471

Well that felt good didn’t it? Not only did we breeze past the old enemy once again on our own turf, but we dumped them out of the FA Cup to effectively end their season in January, so it would seem.

While the recent 5-2 victories over Tottenham Hotspur have proved historic occasions that will be remembered for the rest of our lives, there was something about that Arsenal win on Saturday evening that just seemed to make this result stand out.

In my opinion, it’s down to a number of aspects:

1. The game had that added special feel to it due to battling it out in the FA Cup
  2. We managed to win the match despite a huge amount of changes and a number of absentees, again proving that our strength in depth might be better than first thought
  3. We never really looked like losing the match and completely put outclassed Spurs in a carnival atmosphere at the Emirates

The game is a few days old now, so we’ve all had a chance to watch it, watch it again, digest what happened, take to Twitter to analyse the thoughts of others and express our own, as well as hearing what the managers, players and pundits have had to say. So rather than boring you with my (and yet another) view of the win, I thought that I’d take a rather different angle today.

There is the old saying that ‘a picture is worth a thousand words’, well I’m going to prove that today with a series of images and videos from the North London derby triumph that will have you smiling all week.

Before I start though, I feel that Tomas Rosicky deserves a special mention. The boy (well he’s 33, but certainly has the energy of a child on a sugar rush running down the aisles of Toys R Us with ice cream slapped across his face) has been, in my eyes, our best player over the past month or so, and is rightly being applauded by the Gooner faithful. My good mate Dave Seager gave you plenty of reasons in his piece, which you can read HERE, as to why Rosicky deserves a new contract before his current deal expires at the end of the season, and I’m inclined to agree. I’ve sung the praises of our Little Mozart in a number of my blogs before, but he is just continuously growing and growing into a Gooner hero.

He’s just magical on and off the ball. He can pick a pass, pull off a flick and execute a wonderful finish just as well as he can charge down field, throw himself into a tackle before racing up the other end again. He just wants it, he cares so much, and he is exactly the sort of player that is a fine example to the younger players. Serge Gnabry, among others, warrants a lot of praise for a superb display on Saturday, but Super Tom Rosicky just takes the biscuit for me. Bravo Tommy, keep it going.

Anyway, on with the show:

Gunners Town Top 5: Feel-good moments from mashing the Spuds

1. Captain’s duties

They say that the captain should lead by example. Well Thomas Vermaelen sure did that before the game had even started. Yes this may be in reverse, but even so, the mascot still had the right idea!

2. The Tottenham man’s an Arsenal fan

Tim Sherwood 01

Football’s worst-kept secret spilled out at the Emirates.

3. No words from Sagna

The reaction from Bacary Sagna to a pathetic shove from derby villain Emmanuel Adebayor pretty much sums up the afternoon for Spurs.

Bacary Sagna 05

4. Theo, what’s the score? Theo, Theo, what’s the score?

Theo Walcott 11

Subject of verbal abuse, being pelted by objects, yet Theo Walcott remains classy and hits back in style at the Spurs supporters. As if you needed me to explain that to you. Called a “legend” by Jack Wilshere, Walcott will have his own statue outside the Emirates before long.
Theo Walcott 12

5. Let’s all do the Walcott

This global craze is just sublime. Our goalkeeper, and passionate Gooner, Wojciech Szczesny also got in on the act, along with millions of other Arsenal fans worldwide, known now as #Theoing.

Wojciech Szczesny 08

We have a week off now until we travel to Aston Villa in the Premier League, so I suggest that you keep coming back to this piece each morning before work and seeing through the next seven days (or more) with a smile.

Thanks for reading, which was your favourite? Have you been #Theoing? Let me know on Twitter by following below.

And never forget that you’re a Gooner.

Cheers,

Matt Cotton

, , , , , , ,

39 Responses to Arsenal stars mock ‘little rivals’ Tottenham Hotspur after North London derby dumps Spurs out of FA Cup

1. big stu January 6, 2014 at 4:50 pm #

What a sad person you are!!! You won a game where spurs and the Arsenal had several players missing and we missed ours more than you missed your players..

You were better on the day but thats about it, your certainly wernt that good.

You will finish 3rd and we will fight for 4th.
    When it comes to it Man C and Chelsea are far superior to Arsenal and wait to you come to the lane. !!!! For Walcotts safety he shouldnt travel!!!

• Dave Seager January 6, 2014 at 4:53 pm #

I am not the author of the piece but I was under the impression that with the exception of perhaps Townsend that was the team he had been selecting. Arsenal however you are correct rested or had missing several.

• big stu January 6, 2014 at 4:56 pm #

Townsend—Paulinho—capoue—Sandro over 45million of talent!!!!

• Dave Seager January 6, 2014 at 5:25 pm #

I thought Capoue was on the bench and just not selected because he is a total waste of money who has not adjusted to the pace of the EPL. Also given their relative contributions so far this season I think we can safely say that Ramsey is a bigger miss than any of the others you list.

• GoonerDave January 6, 2014 at 5:46 pm #

More like 45p worth of talent.

• Acton_Spur January 6, 2014 at 6:18 pm #

Add Vertonghen, Kaboul and Lamela to that list and you can see why Spurs were not that bothered with this match…Arsenal or not…

• John J. January 6, 2014 at 5:29 pm #

Agree. With so many quality players missing from both sides, this was a ‘below average’ local derby.

Arsenal definitely deserved their win, but Spurs had their chances.

I support Spurs, but admire Arsenal’s style of football. Think this childish mocking does nothing for the image of your club.

The return league encounter at White HOT Lane will be a very different ball game and outcome.

• Dave Seager January 6, 2014 at 5:43 pm #

As editor I run this site as an open forum and do not tend to sensor. However the writing of a fan blogger on either side of the divide is hardly a reflection of the 2 clubs.

• GoonerDave January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm #

I think throwing coins at a player, then slating him for the exact same thing Bale did last season does nothing for the image of your club.
        Actually, it does – it shows the whole world what you are really like.

2. Bill January 6, 2014 at 5:01 pm #

How did you ‘end our season in January’ when we’re two points behind fourth and are still in the Europa League?

• Matt Cotton January 6, 2014 at 5:15 pm #

Lighten up. You’re out of all the cups, but you still have the top four to fight for.

• Bill January 6, 2014 at 5:50 pm #

Again, how are we ‘out of all the cups’ when we’re still in the Europa League? A competition in which we’re unbeaten this season?

• GoonerDave January 6, 2014 at 5:48 pm #

At a big club, we consider the season over when out of the cups.
      Unless you want to count the Thursday league.

• Bill January 6, 2014 at 6:46 pm #

I’d rather win the Europa League than either of the domestic cups. Belittle it all you want, but it’s a prestigious competition well worth winning.

3. Gooner January 6, 2014 at 5:12 pm #

Matt, this is a fantastic piece of creative writing, your degree in Sports Journalism certainly hasn’t gone to waste. You, sir, will go all the way to the top of your field.

4. Alan January 6, 2014 at 5:19 pm #

Arsenal celebrate trophy win….oh wait.

• Big Gooner January 6, 2014 at 5:44 pm #

Spuds win the Premiership…..oh wait….and wait…..and wait……..and wait…..oh u get the idea

5. Bill is highly ambitious January 6, 2014 at 5:23 pm #

You are right Bill, your season isn’t over. Do not let anyone tell you fourth place isn’t a trophy. And although the Europa league is getting filled currently with teams too rubbish for the champions league, to win it would be a real achievement. It’s like getting the booby prize, it’s still a prize…

• Bill January 6, 2014 at 5:53 pm #

Whatever, I’d love to win the Europa League. I’m surprised you’re so snobbish about trophies considering Swansea and Birmingham have won more than you over the past seven years.

• Dave Seager January 6, 2014 at 5:58 pm #

Unlike many Gunners I would love to have won the League Cup and was on of the unlucky 3000 to be at Bradford which was shameful. But to me the FA Cup is more important than the ECL or nay 4th place so yes I agree with you and disagree with Dave on that

6. bil January 6, 2014 at 5:35 pm #

Spurs missing midfield and defence so the game was too early , better a semi final etc although we lost by mistakes Walcott was treated wrongly etc. what we need to do is prove we can beat you in march!!

• Dave Seager January 6, 2014 at 5:41 pm #

A sensible comment and I hope March is significant for us for differing reasons as we are still in the title race. However we were without our most significant defender, until change made, midfielder and striker also.

• GoonerDave January 6, 2014 at 5:50 pm #

The title race?
        Did you eat a delusion sandwich for lunch?

7. Paul January 6, 2014 at 5:57 pm #

As a Chelsea fan, I do love reading arsenals bollox. Haha, I won’t stick up for tottenham but you lot need to remember you have won fuck all for how long? Listening to some of the comments poking fun At the Europa!!!! Haha you lot would chew your own cock off to win any trophy. Rosicky, cockshelny, the bacon in goal, giroud, Gibbs – all average cock monkeys who wouldn’t look out if place in a Newcastle side. Haha maybe next year lol

• Big Gooner January 6, 2014 at 6:14 pm #

Typical chav boasting abour winning the EL a
      competition they were in cos they failed to get out of their CL group l mean happy to win a trophy u werent in until u failed in another oh an stop going on about what yr russian has bought u in recent yrs, until he turned up you were mid table at best, est

• Big Gooner January 6, 2014 at 6:17 pm #

An we wouldnt chew anyones bollocks off to win the EL we dont want to ever be in a postion to win it cos it means, one way or the other, yr a failure

8. bob January 6, 2014 at 6:22 pm #

HAHAHAHHAHAHA

THE TRUTH HURTS.

• Big Gooner January 6, 2014 at 7:46 pm #

Yep the truth does hurt which is why so many spuds are on here having a pop as they cant accept the truth that they are forever in our shadow never won the league as a london club either an thats a fact they forget when popping about where we started

9. Alan January 6, 2014 at 6:33 pm #

Out for 6 months. Karma’s a bitch a gooners.

Reveling in another person’s pain, petty isn’t it?

10. Bill January 6, 2014 at 6:52 pm #

Oh, unlucky Walcott.

11. Davspur January 6, 2014 at 6:57 pm #

Walcott out for 6 months always been a overrated nob England won’t miss him and he can spend the loose change on a open bus ride around London he will never get one at Woolwich

12. Mikey January 6, 2014 at 6:59 pm #

Looks like the Spurs supporters are getting the last laugh as Walnut has been ruled out for at least 6 months and will miss the World Cup, probably to be replaced by Tottenhams Andros Townsend. That’s karma for you!

13. Ifuckin8gooners January 6, 2014 at 7:22 pm #

Out for six months fucking priceless, Walcott must be looking in the mirror and thinking what a first class prick he is… I fucking love it !!!

14. stoke spur January 6, 2014 at 7:37 pm #

Karma indeed. Keep smiling Theo!

15. Big Gooner January 6, 2014 at 7:41 pm #

By last laugh do u mean that as a result of walcotts injury the result on sat is now reversed and the 8 pts gap between us no longer exists

16. Biggerden January 6, 2014 at 7:57 pm #

Dear Matt Cotton
    A degree in sports journalism could have shown you the necessity to assess matches in an objective manner. I know this may be hard for you but nailing your colours so feverishly, and rather childishly, will exclude you from proper jobs in sports journalism – even if your CV is written in the third person.
    I have to say that the quality of your piece suggests consideration of another profession is in order. Or perhaps a post grad refresher course?
    Good luck in the pursuit of a style suitable to your ambitions.

• Matt Cotton January 6, 2014 at 8:06 pm #

Dear “Biggerden”,
      This piece was merely written in a light-hearted mood and shouldn’t be taken as a swipe at Spurs. It’s designed to celebrate Arsenal with Arsenal fans rather than to ‘have a laugh’ at Spurs.
      Thanks for the career advice, but having gained employment with three Sports Journalism companies, including one national corporation, I’ll have to politely say thanks but no thanks.
      Regards.

• Biggerden January 6, 2014 at 8:18 pm #

Why not submit your piece to the mighty Sports Mole for their world famous editorial assessment of your light heartedness. Good luck with finding a job that shows up with a little more credibility on search engines and possibly pays reasonably well.
        You did manage to provoke some reaction even if you failed to provoke thought, originality or decent prose. I guess there’s a place for that sort of “journalism.”

• Matt Cotton January 6, 2014 at 8:25 pm #

As I said, Sports Mole is just one of several commitments I have, and I’m sure you are all too aware of well the site does. Do tell me how I should do my jobs though, I would love to hear about your understanding, knowledge and expertise in this area. It sounds as if you are being a little too precious Biggerden, and you should probably stop trying to belittle me and go back to the really important things you have going on in your life. Thanks for stopping by though, do come back.